Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Wednesday night special....Breakfast for dinner!!


Wednesday nights are always a little crazy around my house. I babysit my two nephews ages 8 and 10. Add my four and thats a lot of mouths to feed. It has been difficult to find a dinner that all the kids like. Well, I hit the jackpot tonight. I had breakfast for dinner. Biscuits, sausage gravy, bacon,and eggs. They all thought it was great. I didn't even get a picture of the bacon and sausage due to the little ones eating it all before we even sat down. Since it was such a hit, I am going to cook some kind of "breakfast for dinner" at least twice a month.
Suasage gravy

One 12-ounce tube bulk pork sausage
# 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
# 2 cups milk
# Freshly ground black pepper, to taste.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add half the sausage, break it up with a wooden spoon, and cook, stirring occasionally, until well browned and cooked through, about 7 minutes. Make patties out of the other half. Cook until brown on both sides and no pink in the center.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer the sausage to a bowl, leaving the rendered fat in the skillet. Whisk the flour into the fat and cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. While whisking, pour the milk into the skillet and bring the gravy to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Stir in the sausage and season with pepper. Split the biscuits in half and divide them among plates. Top each biscuit with some of the gravy and serve immediately. I used store bought biscuits, but they are easy to make if you have the time.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

Ok, I admit it, being a native yankee, I don't know that I've ever made (or tried) bisquits and gravy, YET... This looks too good not to try!
I'll let you know how it goes, and thanks for the recipe!