Thursday, January 29, 2009

Dinner with my family...Lasagna night!!




Last night my parents came over for dinner. They they live about 40 minutes from us and I like them to come as often as they can to spend time with the grand kids. I wasn't as prepared as I usually am so I dug through my pantry to see what I could find. Well, I always keep on hand ingredients to make lasagna and a few other may stay meals in our house. My lasagna is very simple...I don't add a lot of spices because my kids won't eat if I do. I also make a very portion, so that i can have left overs to freeze.
Here is what you need:
1(12oz) package of lasagna noodles
2(15oz) containers of ricotta cheese
2(8oz) packages of Mozzarella cheese, divided
1(8oz) package of Parmesan cheese, divided
2 eggs beaten
3(26oz)cans of Hunts "meat" flavored spaghetti sauce...yes really 3 cans
1 to 2lbs of ground beef...depends on your families taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2.In a large stock pot bring water to boil and add Lasagna noodles...cook for about 9 to 10 minutes or until noodles a tender, but not falling apart. Remove and rinse.
Cool on paper towels.
3.In a medium bowl combine Ricotta cheese, 1 cup of the Mozzarella, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, Eggs, pinch of salt and pepper.
4.In a large skillet brown ground beef and drain well in collender. Rinse skillet and return ground beef to it.
5.Add spaghetti sauce to skillet...turn heat up to med-low or just until it starts to bubble the sauce, cook for about 5 minutes
6.In a large sheet pan...I use a 11x15x2 inch sheet pan lined with foil....start to make layers. First a layer of the warm meat sauce then a layer of the noodles, then a layer of the cheese mixture. Continue until you have filled the pan.
7.Top with the rest of the Parmesan cheese and Mozzarella cheese.
8.Cover with foil
9.Bake for about 45 min
10.Remove foil and bake for additional 5 min or desired brownness of cheese...I like mine brown around the edges...My husband likes it just melted...its up to you.
Bake for about 45 minutes

No comments:

Powered By Blogger